Wednesday, 30 June 2010

Evaluation of Graphic Designs




Evaluation Of Magazine Cover

The magazine cover that I created was aimed at young girls aged between 12 and 18. There are certain elements of the magazine cover that are aimed at the older girls for example 'The Sex Factor'. There are also parts for the younger readers an example of this would be 'mates quiz-will you be friends forever' I don't think that the 18 year old readers would do this quiz as they could be 'too cool' so to speak and possibly think that it's just a silly quiz. I think with putting things that would appeal to different ages would drag more people towards the magazine. I personally feel that the magazine is fit for purpose, as it would draw the target audience in. The bubbles/circles around the cover could connote that Paige 'The celebrity' cover star has a bubbly personality, Advice from Cheryl Cole would automatically be a winner as she is 'the nations sweetheart', boys fancy her and girls want to emulate her. When I did the photoshoot I tried to get the lighting so that her face would glow but not look too bright so that she was squinting because it was too bright it was hurting her eyes. I thought that on the Sugar magazine cover the right hand corner feature was eye catching and could draw people into buying the magazine as they would want to see where they could get the latest trends for under a tenner. I thought that having this feature on my magazine would be a good thing to put as if I had bought the Sugar Magazine it would have been one of the pages I would have enjoyed, because everyone loves a bargain especially in the current recession! I spent a lot of time on this cover to get it correct I tried and failed with different idea's and eventually came up with one that I would personally buy as a 17 year old, which is in the target audience I would be trying to appeal to. The client said that the magazine should be more feminine so I decided to put circles on it and involve more pastel colours. The 'Advice From Cheryl!' bubble the client said needed to stand out more which I totally agreed with so together we came up with putting a stroke and drop shadow around the bubble and it instantly made it stand out more, so we stuck with that. To create the magazine I used photoshop CS4 on a Mac, I used photoshop as it makes the magazine look more professional.

Evaluation of Tour Poster


The Tour Poster that I created is aimed at 14 to 20 year old which are male or female, which is similar to the N-Dubz one that I replicated. I think that if the band were anything like N-Dubz, then 14 upwards would be the perfect age as younger people like them but they can be explicit, so parents may not allow their children to listen to them, as they are a controversial band but the older that they get the more the children rebel and will want to listen to them because their parents don't want them too, therefore i personally think that it would appeal to that select target audience.  I think that it is fit for purpose as it has the vital information for instance where and when, number to book, websites, who the main act and support are, which dates the support is at and which dates are sold out and which you can still purchase. I'd compare this product to the N-Dubz tour poster as the main colours are black and white with a burst of bright colour towards the top of the poster. The sold out is the same in red and white, I did this to show a clear comparison as as soon as I saw it I was attracted to it and wanted to have gone to the tour. The same as for the magazing cover I used photoshop CS4 on a Mac, this also made the tour poster look more professional and to a better standard than if i'd have used paint. The client wanted it to be straight forward and to the point but so it stood out they wanted the title to stand out and something that would catch the audiences eye and thats exactly what I aimed to make, I think that I managed to get the right blend of this in my final design . I would improve this by putting a stroke around Justice so that it would stand out that little bit more also i think that the support acts should be slightly smaller as would the 'both all dates'.






Digi Pak Evaluation

The Digi Pak has a target audience of 14 to 20 year olds again as I have mentioned this band reminds me of the type of band like N-Dubz are, they are controversial and sell a lot of records. That's why I wanted them to be similar to them.  I put together two different ideas together from The Wanted and N-Dubz with the front cover resembling N-Dubz Tour Poster (3 above). The idea that I got from The Wanted was having an AR (augmented reality) feature on the Digi Pak, It works for the wanted they sold albums with individual solo songs on i.e one member of The Wanted sang there own rendition of Handbags and Gladrags by Stereophonics. They also leave for like a week at a time news updates Christmas and New Year Messages which would be a great way for the fans of another up and coming band in Justice just like The Wanted were 7 or 8 months ago. The Client wanted bright colours and something that just made it a little different from any other Digi Pak, I managed to do this by adding a blue effect to one of the pictures and by editing all of the Memories pictures by changing there hue/saturation making them black and white or putting a sepia colour on one or two.  I created the Digi Pak on an Apple Mac and Photoshop CS4 I couldn't have made it look like it does without photoshop it would have looked shabby and I wouldn't have been able to add the swirly brush to the background if I'd have used a different program. I would have changed the Digi Pak by taking more photographs in different locations with them wearing different clothes as it is all a bit too much of same.


No comments:

Post a Comment